Monday, February 22, 2010

Come Fly With Me

Spread your wings and let the fairy in you fly.
I asked my daughter her opinion about this art piece, I created. Her thoughts were she is in a cage she can't fly? I said maybe she just needs to open her cage door and fly away.....
The art paper doll image is from talented Catherine Moore's Character Constructions art stamps. I first prepared my surface with gesso. I then painted the background and speckled. Then stamped with a swirl pattern stamp. I created a freehand bird cage using black pencil crayon. Who wants a cage with straight metal bars, it is art. LOL I wrote my words along the edge of the Gothic arch with a white pen. I added colored ink to all my edges and and on the background. I colored all my images with my watercolor pencils. I enjoyed creating this whimsical piece. I adore wings and antique bird cages.
Do you think she will fly away.

Cheryl Dolby is a wonderful sculptor. Go to see her first art paper doll on her blog: Healing Woman .

14 comments:

Healing Woman said...

Hi Laura,

I have been inspired by you! In my post of today entitled "Philosophy Angel Paper Dolls," I placed a link back to your blog thanking you for inspiring me in creating my first paper doll. I'm a sculptor and never experimented with paper since my medium is clay, basically.

Thankyou again and be sure to keep creating those fanciful dolls of yours.

You can see her at http://www.healingwoman.blogspot.com or cheryldolby.com

Healingwoman ~Cheryl Dolby~

Meri Wiley said...

Hi Laura,

I don't know why she'd want to fly away. Even in her cage, she looks perfectly happy and content. Sometimes that's what we really want is structure and boundries.

Hugs,
Meri

Debby said...

Another beautiful doll. I love this LAura!
Debby

Nancy Gene Armstrong said...

She thinks it is better somewhere else-like the grass is always greener...She will stay in her safe cage and will not fly away because in her heart she knows...I think it is a sad piece but good. Love the free hand drawing.This has a whole story feel.

Babsarella said...

She is quite a beauty and I think one of my favorites of all the lovely dolls you create!! Thanks for all the details on her creation too!

Julie said...

This is just beautiful, Laura! I think she'll fly when she's ready...sometimes we need the safety of our "cage" until we feel confident enough to spread our wings!

Thanks for the kind visit--you say the nicest things! Hope your day is just lovely today!

bockel24 said...

This piece is adorable!

Tolegranny said...

Like all of your dolls, they are exquiste. I want to be like you when I grow up. *smile

Dezinaworld said...

So absolutely stunning !! I love the colourwork and collage and the tiny details
hugs June xxxx

The Muse said...

http://adivashammer.com/archives/1124

she reminds me of my past...and yes...she will fly...she will fly high and free!
she can fly alone...or she can fly with another...
but she has wings..and not to use them would be death.
there is always so much more to uncover in your work....

Marilyn Rock said...

Love this Laura! As long as the cage is unlocked, she surely can fly! She has a place she can come back to and feel secure - right? :) Love ya - Marilyn xxoo

In the Light of the Moon said...

I love the first line in your post today!!A wonderful creation!!I thinks she'll stay put...how can she leave the sweet place you created for her ( :
Warmest Regards,Cat

CathWren said...

She knows she can open her door and fly if she should need to. So, she's not a prisoner, But a free spirit who made a choice and she's happy.

Paolo&David said...

This brought to mind the story by Maya Angelou, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" it is about how oppressed women of color over comes the bind and bars and shine.